What do you want to be remembered for?
What do you think is a big problem facing the world and our community today? What are your deepest, most cherished values? As you’ve interacted with The Raptor Trust over the years, how does our story connect with your life story?
With your help, we’ve achieved a lifetime of conservation victories, and now you can keep these stories alive forever. We’re pleased to announce a Legacy Society to recognize exceptionally dedicated individuals who care deeply about protecting wildlife for future generations and have expressed their commitment by making a gift to The Raptor Trust in their estate plans.
Whether it’s a cheerful chirp in the morning, a flicker of color overhead to brighten your day, or the sound of wings beating against the wind on a still day—you’ve known the joy and inspiration of birds. And you can’t imagine a world without them. You can help us create a brighter future for avian wildlife– which makes our community so special– by including The Raptor Trust in your will.
What is a legacy gift?
A final gift is a meaningful statement of your passions and values. In making the decision about where their money goes, many people often end up with a deeper understanding of themselves, while also communicating their ethics and values to their children and community. Many people like to include a gift to The Raptor Trust to help ensure our work to treat and rehabilitate wild birds continues for generations to come.
The Raptor Trust gratefully accepts legacy gifts of any size including:
- A gift from your will– A charitable gift from your estate is one of the easiest ways to give. In as little as one sentence, you can complete your gift.
- IRA rollovers– If you are 70½ years old or older, you can make tax-free donations from your IRA. Your gift will be put to use today, allowing you to see the difference you’re making.
- Donor-advised funds–A donor-advised fund allows you to recommend how much and how often money is granted to The Raptor Trust.
- Add The Raptor Trust as a beneficiary of your life insurance policy, retirement plan, or assets– This gift is simple. All you need to do is complete a new beneficiary designation form from your retirement or life insurance plan administrator, naming The Raptor Trust as your beneficiary.
- Appreciated stock or securities– If you wish to donate stock or securities, please contact Lori Salerno at email@example.com.
Why should I leave a legacy gift?
Estate and legacy giving allows you to combine philanthropy with tax benefits. By giving strategically, you can reduce the tax burden on your heirs and play an important role in ensuring the survival of wildlife for generations to come. Some benefits of legacy gifts are:
- All gifts are tax-deductible.
- Reduce your estate taxes.
- By-pass capital gains taxes.
- Memorialize or honor a loved one.
- Leave a lasting gift to wildlife.
Please consult with your financial advisor about planned charitable gifts.
The Legacy Society is made up of forward-thinking individuals who have included The Raptor Trust in their charitable planning. Because of generous supporters like you, The Raptor Trust will continue to fight for the survival of wild bird populations– one bird at a time– far into the future.
We recognize the commitment of our members with:
- Membership Welcome Packet
- Listing in our annual report (unless anonymity is requested)
- Invitations to special Society events
- Opportunity to be featured in TRT publications
What will your legacy gift be used for?
We can help you choose a legacy gift that will meet both your personal and philanthropic goals.
There’s nothing quite like watching an injured animal –be it waterfowl, songbird, or raptor– recover and return to the wild. It is the very foundation of what Len and Diane Soucy began in the 1970s, and remains the heart and soul of this organization. That’s why most legacy gifts that people leave are directed towards the medical care and rehabilitation of wild birds. A gift towards Rehabilitation could include food and medical supplies, rehab bird cage building, and top-of-the-line medical equipment.
Just as our medical staff acts as the response team, the Education Department is a proactive arm of our organization. Your gift will ensure that thousands of students, seniors, libraries, and interest groups will continue to learn about wild birds, the threats they face, and how we can help them. A gift towards Education could include public and school programming, scholarships for budding wildlife veterinarians, and environmental education for underserved communities.
Recently, the TRT Gift Shop, which provides books, keepsakes, and field guides to all ages of birders, was renovated thanks to a legacy gift by a TRT supporter. While these types of projects don’t come along quite as often, we are happy to discuss the possibilities available for your legacy gift. Special projects in the past have included cage building, infirmary renovations, and upkeep of the serene aviary path.
The endowment fund ensures that The Raptor Trust will always be there to provide care to wild birds– even in times of uncertainty. Our organization depends on medical staff to tend to wild birds, on phone lines that members of our community can call when they find a bird, on fuel to get our Education team to a program, and so many other costs of fulfilling this mission. A gift to the endowment fund ensures that TRT will never have to turn anyone away.